Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Little Melly; Episode 1

Growing up my parents did not have a lot of money so I never received a Barbie doll until this year. I remember my dad would occasionally buy me something from the book club. However, gradually it stopped.
I remember all the other kids in primary school bought nice gift sets and I didn't want to feel left out so I would ask my parents for a few dollars and buy the cheapest item on the book club so I can fit in.

All the other kids were playing with Gameboys, computer games, various video games and here I was a kid who has never played a video game in my life in primary school.
Perhaps, I was stupid for not asking my parents to buy me video games and toys.
Maybe, I was a good kid who never demanded my parents to buy me everything I want.
I guess it doesn't really matter.

I guess my simple childhood upbringing has made me appreciate the value of a dollar and not made me so materialistic to a degree.

A simple upbringing = a simple life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel, the lessons you learnt by taking the rough path were invaluable.

Yuki said...

I don't think toys and computer games and all that are important. You turned out just fine =)

happiness_lives_on said...

hehehe thank you!
I guess not, I survived.